Experienced Scientist - Anatomical Pathology
- Permanent, full-time or part-time
- Friendly, supportive and professional team
- Purpose-built laboratory, Mile End (Adelaide, SA)
About Clinpath Pathology
Clinpath Pathology is a quality pathology service provider, focusing on professional excellence, reliability, excellent customer service and business integrity. Based at Mile End in a new state of the art laboratory Clinpath provides you with the opportunity to become a part of an Australian wide medical testing laboratory network, focused on medical leadership and expert advice. We serve our South Australian medical practitioners, private hospitals and aged care facilities.
About the Opportunity and the Role
An opportunity has become available for an experienced Scientist to join our busy Anatomical Pathology team on a permanent basis. Following established department protocols, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to develop and/or further hone their skills towards ensuring timely and accurate throughput of histology samples from receipt to provision of slides to the reporting pathologists.
There may also be opportunity to participate in specialised troubleshooting, procedure development and review, attending/facilitating in-house training and education sessions, internal auditing and other tasks that are integral to the continuous improvement of the department.
Candidates with experience in grossing Non-Complex and Complex specimens (per NPAAC guidelines) and/or experience in immunohistochemistry are encouraged to apply.
The position is based at our Mile End laboratory, which operates on shift arrangements with shifts currently rostered between 4am to midnight Monday-Friday and 4am to 5pm Saturday. The Scientist role will require flexibility with rostered shifts to best fit with operational requirements.
Typical duties include:
- Accession anatomical pathology patient episodes; prepare cytology samples as required;
- Perform routine anatomical pathology tasks including tissue processing, embedding, sectioning, staining and allocation;
- Perform specialised procedures such as Immunohistochemistry, In-situ Hybridisation and Direct Immunofluorescence as required;
- Assist pathologists with delivery of in-house frozen section service;
- Perform cut up of stage 1-3 non-complex specimens as required. Participate in stage 4 ‘Complex Cut Up' roster as required;
- Consult with Anatomical Pathologists, supervisors and other senior staff for procedural clarification as required;
- Archive and retrieve patient materials, package and dispatch material to referral sites as required; and
- Prepare laboratory reagents and maintain associated equipment fit for use.
Applicants should possess the following:
- Bachelor of Science in Laboratory Medicine (or degree deemed suitable);
- Practical and relevant experience in routine histology techniques gained within a busy diagnostic histology laboratory;
- Experience in Specimen Grossing and/or Immunohistochemistry will be highly regarded;
- Sound knowledge of WHS processes within a histology laboratory and experience in safe operation of laboratory equipment;
- Well-developed critical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Excellent attention to detail and time management skills
- A sound understanding of NATA accreditation requirements;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and well developed written and oral communication and presentation skills;
- Demonstrate positive ‘can do' attitude; and
- Ability to adapt to change and to be able to work both autonomously and as part of a dynamic team.
Why join us?
Clinpath Pathology offer a wide range of employee benefits:
- Employee Rewards Program;
- Ongoing training and development;
- Employee Assistance Program;
- Employee Referral Program;
- Free annual flu vaccination;
- Charitable and social events including annual Christmas Party, Pizza Friday and Easter morning tea; and
- Work life balance and flexible working arrangements.
How to apply?
When applying, please ensure you include a cover letter, resume and address the key selection criteria as part of your application. Only those shortlisted will be contacted.
Applications by close of business Friday 19th March 2021